Apples and peanut butter have always been one of my favorite go-to snacks. This Valentine's day, I wanted to create a dessert that was healthy and also had a romantic edge to it. These apple roses are very easy to make and look beautiful on a table.
APPLE ROSES // serves 2
prep time: 15 minutes // assembly: 15 minutes // TOTAL TIME: 30 min
TOOLS & INGREDIENTS:
- 5 small apples
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 - 4 tbsp. peanut butter ( cashew and almond butter also work )
- mandoline or ceramic slicer
- bowl for soaking apple "petals"
- 2 small shallow glass bowls
Fill a small glass bowl with cold water and squeeze 1/2 lemon into it and set aside.
Place 1 - 2 tbsp. of peanut butter in a small shallow dish, filling it only 2/3 of the way up.
Using your finger, make three indents in a triangle pattern in the peanut butter, to allow easier placement of the apple rose.
Thinly slice the apples with the mandoline to make the "petals", making sure you slice both halves of the apple evenly to get full circle slices.
Soak the petals in the water and lemon juice bowl.
Remove the petals and dry them on a paper towel to remove excess water.
To start the rose, use one of the smaller apple slices, roll the bottom sides towards each other and hold it with your thumb and index finger.
Add the outside "petals" one at a time, staggering the placement clockwise, holding the base of the rose together with your fingers.
Once you have finished the first apple rose, gently place it into one of the indents in the peanut butter, pushing the base down so the petals stay in place. ( Note, the first apple rose will expand slightly until there are more apple roses to hold it in place )
repeat steps 7 - 9 to create more apple roses, using three roses per bowl.
- The apple "petals" are soaked in water and lemon juice so the apple slices do not turn brown.
- Use firm, fresh apples for the best results.
- Slide in extra apple "petals" to create a more finished and polished look.
- Some of your petals will crack, which are easy to slide out at the end.